Monday, March 2, 2020

Tips for shopping sales before spring!

Image result for March madness sales

         Ok - guys!!! March is truly a month of madness for clearance sales!!!   Actually January through March are all good months for clearances.  In January you have the after Christmas clearances - both in the extra food, decorations, seasonal gift items, and candy!!!  February you will start seeing clearances on winter clothing as well as items in the household departments as they start bringing in Spring and Summer items.  Again there are great sales on candy and gifts after Valentines Day!!!  I like to scout out these things for gifts for Mothers Day or any gals with birthdays in the spring months.  Then in February and March the department stores will have clearances for their winter things as well.  Be sure to go to your favorite stores and ask if they are going to be having sales so that you don't miss out on any deals!!!  (Now, I will explain here that I live in rural Kansas.  We do not have a lot of big name brand stores out here - and so my information and experience pertains to rural areas and may not be applicable to others in other places.)

       I have been scouting Walmart stores for clearances in their children's department.  It is hard to buy shoes ahead because feet seem to be typically more unpredictable but I definitely buy clothes ahead!!! This is easier to do for toddlers and kids rather than infants because the infants can grow so fast and are unpredictable!!!  But I have found racks with long sleeve boys T-shirts, in all sizes, for $1!  Then I will buy several in a size up from what my son is currently wearing for the next winter.  It really depends on each individual store as to what price or what choices you have in clearance sales.  I will find a rack of shirts like that in a Walmart in Kansas but then go up to Nebraska and they will only have pajamas on sale.  That's fine - I'll pick up a pair of those then!  You can also hold your cards and wait a week too.  Because later, you might go in and see a garment marked down from $7 to $5 - but if you wait a few more days you can come back and find it marked down to $3.  But you also might miss out if someone else buys it first - so it's a gamble!

       Winter apparel goes on sale in the spring.  Always a good time to stock up for next year with those light cotton mittens that go on sale for 75 cents a pair - stocking caps for $1.  Coats and snow boots get marked down too.  Don't forget to look at Goodwill and other thrift stores for these things too.  People will be cleaning out their closets after Christmas and at the first sign of warmer weather, so take advantage of those second hand deals as well!

       I will also scout out clothes for myself.  Leggings and sport clothing went on a major sale in January!  Then in February I looked for the sweater that I admired in the clearance section - and after looking at three different Walmarts - I found one in my size for $7!!!  Women's jeans will often go on sale in February - March to make room for the shorts and capris coming in.  Found a pair at Walmart marked down to $5 on clearance!  I also hit the mall in March and found Christopher and Banks, Maurices, and many other womens clothing stores with Winter Clearance sales and picked up some great deals on vests, jackets, long sleeve blouses, and those classy knee high boots!

       Another tip that I have found to be true is to get your grilling supplies in March before the Tailgate party prices and summer prices rise!

       Lets not forget groceries!  Again you will have to look into your own local store and learn their sales systems.  Watch the flyers - maybe keep a couple weeks worth of them to be able to compare and familiarize yourself with the prices of the things you buy most often and see if there is a repeating sales for any of those items and learn to buy them when they are on sale - and get extras to last you until the next one.  For example - our local grocery store will have a fairly regular sale on canned vegetables such as corn, peas and carrots for 79 cents.  I will buy a flat of the kind I use and it will last me a month or until the next sale.  My kids love the little cutie oranges.  But I know that my store will have them out on sale about every other week or so.  So I will buy two bags when they're on sale and then we don't buy them again until they are on sale again.  And my kids have started to ask me "Mom, is this on sale?"  If it's not, they've learned to walk away from it and wait until another week!  Other things to watch for are things like toilet paper, dish soap, bread, favorite salads, favorite macaroni brand, dairy products, etc. . .
Here's two websites that I found with further helpful advice on groceries and sales that I will share below and also some links to my favorite places to shop for sales online.  Please let me know if anything in this post was helpful to you or if you have further sale shopping advice that you'd like to share with me!  Thank-you!


Guide to Grocery shopping through 2020
https://www.livingrichwithcoupons.com/2012/01/guide-to-grocery-sale-cycles-getting-the-best-prices-2.html#march

How to save money on groceries:
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/finance/money/ways-to-save-money-on-food-groceries/?shoppingrhr&12

Walmart clearance sales:
https://www.walmart.com/browse?cat_id=0&facet=special_offers%3AClearance

Bath and Body Works sales:
https://www.bathandbodyworks.com/g/top-offers

Christopher and Banks sales:
https://www.christopherandbanks.com/sale-and-outlet/

The Children's Place sales:
https://www.childrensplace.com/us/c/clearance-us

No comments:

Post a Comment